Erectile dysfunction, which is also known as ED, is reported to be one of the most common problems from which men suffer at some point in their life or others. Many think that erectile dysfunction is a problem that is related to old age. Aging is definitely a factor, but many men in their prime suffer from this problem. Therefore the connection of old age and erectile dysfunction is not completely correct. The main problem with men suffering from erectile dysfunction is that they are hesitant in talking about the same with anyone, not even with their partners or with the doctor. There is a feeling of embarrassment and shyness from which most men suffer when it comes to talking about ED.
What is erectile dysfunction?
People have various kinds of wrong notions about erectile dysfunction in men. Therefore in the very first place, it is important to know what erectile dysfunction is. The definition of ED is having problems in getting an erection as well as not being able to keep the same. The penis does not remain hard and firm enough for intercourse to take place. It might happen that a man does not get a proper erection one day – this cannot be termed as erectile dysfunction. If the problem of erection persists, it is progressive in nature or happens often during the process of sex, only then it can be termed as erectile dysfunction. In such a situation, it is important that treatment for the problem should be done without ignoring it further (1).
As mentioned previously, there are various factors that can contribute to the problem of ED. However, generally, erectile dysfunction takes place when blood flow does not take place to the penis in a proper manner or if nerves in the area are hurt by some means. The problem might also occur as a result of emotional reasons or excessive stress. It can also happen because of atherosclerosis, high blood sugar, high blood pressure or any other kind of heart ailments. Finding the exact cause of erectile dysfunction is important so that treatment of the same can be done in the best manner. With proper treatment, the problem of ED can be solved from the roots and one can enjoy great sexual health and overall well-being at the same time.
Diagnosis of erectile dysfunction
The process of diagnosis of erectile dysfunction is quite simple. No elaborate processes and processes are involved in the same. Mentioned below are the steps of diagnosis of erectile dysfunction in men:
- General physical examination – This is a general checkup of the person. Since the problem is of erectile dysfunction, the penis and testicles might be physically checked. This is mainly done for checking id the nerve sensations are alright in the area.
- Blood tests – With blood tests, it can be ascertained if the patient suffers from any kind of heart ailments, low testosterone levels, diabetes or any other health conditions.
- Ultrasound – This is done mainly in the penile area to check if the blood vessels are carrying blood properly to the penis for an erection to take place. Blood flow problems can be detected with ultrasound.
- Urine tests – Urine tests can also be done for checking signs and symptoms of other underlying health conditions including diabetes, etc.
- Psychological examination – This is a very crucial examination for erectile dysfunction diagnosis. This test is usually done by a psychologist or psychiatrist, which will be able to ascertain the mental health and status of the man. Depression, stress, anxiety, etc. are the leading causes of ED in men. The psychological examination can bring these facts to the forefront.
Treatment of erectile dysfunction
Once the cause of erectile dysfunction is located, carrying out proper treatment of the same is easy. The kind of treatment that will be best for you will be decided by the doctor treating you. The final call will, however, be yours. Mentioned below are some treatment options, which are recommended for erectile dysfunction:
- Treatment without any kinds of medications
- Changes in lifestyle will help for sure – Lifestyle changes might be recommended by your healthcare provider, which will help in reducing the problem of erectile dysfunction to quite an extent. Some of the changes are as follows:
- Limiting or quitting alcohol
- Quitting smoking
- Refrain from any kind of drug usage
- Maintaining a healthy body weight
- Increasing physical activity or indulging in some kind of exercise daily
- Counseling really helps – Many men have been able to solve their erectile dysfunction problem without the help of medicines. For them, counseling worked really well. This is applicable for men who suffer from the problem due to emotional or psychological issues like stress, depression, anxiety and so on and so forth. The counselor will suggest various ways and means by which you can overcome your anxiety and stress issues. It is great if your partner can also attend the counseling sessions so that complete support is obtained. Once the psychological issues are handled, the physical aspects can be handled by the doctor.
- Acupuncture – We all know that for a very long time, acupuncture has been used to treat various kinds of health problems. In many study results, it has been seen that acupuncture has proved to be very useful in the treatment of erectile dysfunction in men. With acupuncture, the quality of erections has improved significantly and sexual activity has been restored successfully. The only thing about which one must be careful is that acupuncture should be done only by a licensed acupuncturist. You can seek recommendations from your physician and go to a proper acupuncturist.
Treatment of erectile dysfunction with the help of medicines
- Change in the medicines that one takes – It might happen that medicine which you take might be causing the erectile dysfunction problem. However, this medicine is crucial for treating some other health conditions. In such a case, the doctor will make a change in the medicine or he might also alter the dose of the same. However, never make the mistake of stopping any medicine without seeking consultation from your doctor.
- Prescribe medicines for treating erectile dysfunction – An oral medicine might be prescribed for the treatment of erectile dysfunction (2). Following are the medicines which can be prescribed by the doctor:
All these medicines start working by relaxing the smooth muscles and helps in increasing the flow of blood in the penis during the time of sexual stimulation. These medicines shouldn’t be taken for treatment of erectile dysfunction if one is taking nitrates for treating any kind of heart condition.
Many patients might suffer from low testosterone levels in the body and this also is one of the reasons for erectile dysfunction. Doctors might prescribe some kind of testosterone boosting supplements for treating the problem of ED. It is true that treating the problem of erectile dysfunction is possible with testosterone, but it might not be of help if the problem is caused by nerve problems or circulatory problems. Some side effects can also be seen with this treatment.
- Injectable suppositories and medicines – Along with oral medicines, injectable suppositories and medicines are also prescribed for treating the problem of erectile dysfunction. These suppositories or medicines are inserted into the penis and stronger erections are obtained. With injectable medicines, automatic erections are triggered. It has been seen that with the injectables, erections are harder and firmer. Thus, they are really great for treating the problem of erectile dysfunction.
- Oral supplements – Many doctors prescribe supplements for erectile dysfunction issues. The supplements are different from that of oral medicines. One such supplement is BlueChew. Made from mainly organic ingredients, the supplements help in boosting natural testosterone levels in the body and also helps in increasing blood flow to the penile area for better erections. The best thing is that these supplements are safe to use and have no side effects. There are other such supplements as well and it is recommended to choose wisely. Doctor recommended supplements are the safest ones.
Various kinds of natural ingredients for treating erectile dysfunction issue
Natural remedies for any kind of health problems are the best solutions as they are free from side effects. For erectile dysfunction problems too, various kinds of natural ingredients work exceptionally well. Some of the most important and prominent ingredients in this regard include the likes of Yohimbe, Rhodiola Rosea, Panax Ginseng, etc.
Instead of ignoring the problem of erectile dysfunction, combat the same and get back a healthy sexual life.