Ayurveda is a treasure trove of health and wellness. It helps remove the cause of a disease or disorder organically from the root. This system of ancient medicine values Amla or Indian gooseberry a lot! Indeed Amla deserves all the praise lavished upon it as it’s a Kind of berries.
Amla or the Indian Gooseberry is a small berry, light green in color and sour in taste. Most people shy away from Amla due to its taste, but they don’t realize that they are letting go of an invaluable source of health and beauty and your best friend if you want to lose weight consistently, slowly and without the drama and the mayhem of modern extreme diets and exercise programs.
What Goodies Does Amla Have?
It contains a wealth of vitamins and minerals. Why are minerals and vitamins important in the first place? – Because they are the ingredients of enzymes and hormones that make your body tick. They are the little gremlins that make you and keep you alive.
Amla is a rich source of these gremlins. The fruit contains loads of vitamin C, calcium, and iron. Vitamin C in Amla keeps your immune system very strong, and your skin dewy fresh and scar-free. (That’s why we have vitamin embellished anti-aging creams).
As Amla is rich in antioxidants, it helps your system in fighting free radical damage. These free radicals cause aging, degenerative diseases, cancer, and have a role to play in everything that goes wrong in your system.
Apart from this, Amla or the Indian gooseberry also comes packed with several important nutrients like Omega 6 and 3 fatty acids. These are also the building blocks of enzymes and other chemical messengers in your system.
Amla Juice for Weight Loss
Amla is an extremely versatile fruit. It can be consumed with veggies while making curries; it can be powdered, or eaten raw. But, most people like consuming Amla in the form of juice, because of its bitter taste.
The amla juice that you drink goes straight to your liver and starts doing wonders- for your skin, blood sugar levels, and fat loss.
In fact, it is one of the best juices out there for burning fat and weight loss. Here’s why-
- Amla is Rich in Fibre: Fibre takes a long time to digest. It stays in your gut longer, giving you a feeling of fullness, which doesn’t allow you to binge-eat. Amla juice is loaded with fiber, which is why it helps cut the calories you consume daily. It helps in keeping your body hydrated as well. This also makes you feel full. All you have to do when you feel hungry is to have a glass of amla juice to make you feel full.
Not only will this stop you from eating junk, but it will also give your body a boost of the gremlins.
- It Improves Digestion: Amla is alkaline in nature, and this helps in cleaning your digestive system from the inside out. This is why Amla is your gut’s best friend. It strengthens the digestive system, and this, in turn, helps in weight loss. Amla is also a natural rejuvenator, according to Ayurveda. This means it can boost your energy levels. It also helps rehydrate your body, and these two properties really change your life by helping you keep your gut clean and ditch the flab.
You can add Aloe Vera to your amla juice to have a better go at cleaning your gut. This mixture helps to cure ulcers and bloody stools too.
This mixture also corrects most, if not all, metabolic disorders in your body.
- It Regulates Blood Sugar Levels: Amla contains chromium and this element plays a very important part in regulating blood glucose levels. So, if you regularly consume amla juice, you can easily regulate your blood sugar levels, improving your pre-diabetes and type-2 diabetes naturally. Studies show that amla juice, taken along with bitter gourd juice, helps keep sugar levels balanced. This helps most diabetics patients lose flab too. Amla juice can reduce cravings and control spikes in sugar levels.
You can add another Ayurvedic favorite, Giloy, to Amla while juicing. The mixture will help your body normalize elevated sugar levels and lower blood pressure and improve low iron levels in the blood. It will also help detoxify your liver.
- Amla Accelerates Your Metabolism: Amla triggers your metabolism, and this is how it helps you lose weight. It is also known to enhance protein synthesis, and this means there is more energy in your body to do things. You can thus exercise more and not just eat and put on weight. It also rejuvenates and rehydrates your body, and this helps when you are gymming.
Amla also flushes your body with Vitamin C and other nutrients. This ensures that you don’t tire easily while working out.
- Amla Helps Detoxify Your System: You put on weight due to the accumulation of harmful toxins in your cells and tissues. Amla is great at flushing out these toxins from your system as it improves digestion and reduces the formation of ‘ama’ or toxic wastes in your body. The antioxidants in Amla are especially effective in removing toxins from the liver and the gut, thus helping your body function better.
How Do You Make Amla Juice At Home?
Cut the Amla into pieces, remove the seeds and put in a blender and add some water. Blend for a few minutes till you get a thick paste. Now, sieve this concentrate using a piece of cloth or a sieve to separate the pulp from the amla juice.
Extract the juice and have it fresh. This juice must be had immediately if you want all the benefits of Amla. You can refrigerate it also for two weeks if you want.
You can add giloy or aloe vera to the amla juice for effective weight loss. Similarly, you can add some honey to your amla juice to sweeten it. You can also add some salt and cardamom powder to your amla juice to make it palatable.
You may also add bitter gourd juice to amla juice for losing weight more easily. This combination is especially effective for people who are obese and have type-2 diabetes.
How to Take Amla Juice for Weight Loss?
We suggest that you have amla juice the first thing in the morning on an empty stomach as this will keep your digestive system chugging along nicely and accelerate your metabolism to keep you more energetic throughout the day. Needless to add, you must have a glass of amla juice daily to reap its benefits.
We don’t suggest that you have the ready-made amla juice that’s available in a supermarket near you. By juicing amlas at home, you get pure, unadulterated juice with no artificial additives.
We leave you with a tip. If you want to preserve your precious amla juice for a long time, all you have to do is to add some sodium lactate powder to the fresh amla juice. Doing this will ensure that the juice will stay for as long as eight months in the refrigerator.